In the first 3 postures we've stretched the spine and strengthened the body in many ways. Now we move into a compression posture- you are going to squeeze your body like you've never squeezed anything before. From Bikram Yoga: The Guru Behind Hot Yoga Shows
- Compression posture. Squeeze your body like never before.
- Start feet together facing the mirror.
- Bring your arms up then swing them down while crossing them with the right arm under the left.
- Place the palms together, thumbs towards your face, hands in prayer position with the finger tips below the nose.
- Bend your knees and sit down to a depth similar to Awkward Pose.
- Bring the right leg up and over the left thigh.
- Wrap the right foot behind the left calf muscle.
- Sink down deeper and bring your upper body back.
- Slowly come up and repeat on the left side.
- If you cannot bring the hands into prayer interlock your fingers and pull down until your knuckles are below the mouth.
- Pulling down continuously with the arms will develop the flexibility you need in the shoulders and stretch out tight places in neck and shoulders.
- To wrap legs tighter, after you bend the legs, lift your right leg up really high and reach as far left as you can before bringing back down and wrapping around left calf.
- Sit down deeper and bring the upper body slightly back to lower your center of gravity and maintain balance.
- Focus on aligning the 14 major joints within your body (seven on each side).
- At home, practice while sitting on a chair. Use your hands to push the leg/foot around the calf muscle.
- Opens up the 14 major joints in the skeletal system: hips, knees, ankles, shoulders, elbows, and wrists.
- Supplies fresh oxygenated blood to the reproductive system (pregnancy pose) and organs along with the kidneys.
- Improve sexual vitality and control.
- Tones and strengthen the calves, thighs, hips, and abdomen.